While Lemon Bars made with organic ingredients are still far from a healing health food they are Family Friendly. The wholesome ingredients are easier on your body to digest and they are easy to make. If you have any lemon left over be sure to drink the juice in some warm, healthy, clean, water with a meal or first thing in the morning.
- 2 cups organic sprouted flour
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup organic salted butter, 2 sticks, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar
- 1/4 cup organic sprouted flour
- 4 large organic or farm raised eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice, about 4 lemons
- 1 Tablespoon organic lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place parchment paper in a 9-by-13 inch glass baking dish with paper going up the sides
Prepare The Crust:
- Stir the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the cubed butter a few pieces at a time using the back of a fork until the mixture has a coarse meal appearance.
- Press the prepared crust evenly into the papered glass dish.
- Bake crust for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven.
While the crust bakes, prepare the filling:
- Whisk the sugar, flour and eggs in a large bowl until well blended.
- Whisk in the lemon juice and grated lemon zest.
- Pour the filling over the hot/warm crust and bake for about 20-22 minutes, until filling is set in the center.
- Cool completely in the dish on a rack and then place in the refrigerator.
- Chill for 2 hours to allow bars to completely set (may leave overnight for better texture).
- Sift powdered sugar over the squares before serving.